About the Foundation
One night in 1954, a dedicated group of Phi Mu alumnae came together, at Phi Mu’s National Convention, to discuss ideas for establishing an organization that would accept tax-deductible donations for Phi Mu’s educational and charitable purposes.
Phi Mu Foundation was officially incorporated in February 1957 as a general welfare corporation with tax-exempt status and less than $2,000 in the bank. Today, more than 50 years later, the Foundation is classified as a 501(c)(3) organization and holds assets in excess of $10 million. The growth has been impressive and, as a Foundation, we stand poised, ready for the next leap forward as collegiate membership is on the rise; Phi Mu expands to new colleges and universities; and alumnae members re-engage in their sisterhood.
The Foundation is governed by an eight-member Board of Trustees who serve staggered terms and are elected at the general membership meeting each biennium. All Trustees are volunteers as well as members of the 1852 Society.
Phi Mu members are not automatically members of the Foundation. A Phi Mu in good standing becomes a member of Foundation when her cumulative giving level reaches $50.
As a Phi Mu continues to give, she will receive recognition for reaching each new level of giving.
As a vital part of the Foundation’s annual fund, Phi Mu members are contacted several times throughout the year through direct mail, our collegiate-run phonathon, email and other means to solicit funds. The purpose is to generate the financial support necessary for the survival and growth of all Foundation programs, thereby preserving Phi Mu for future generations. The amount of each gift is less important than the goal that members establish a habit of contributing regularly to the Foundation. And, all contributions are tax-deductible as allowed by law.