Following an extensive capital campaign, managed by Phi Mu Foundation, a beautiful, permanent home for Phi Mu was completed in 2005, with a grand opening and official dedication on September 24, 2005.
~ Museum ~
Phi Mu Foundation maintains, preserves and promotes Phi Mu’s history through the archives and museum located in the National Headquarters. Some of the items on display include the President’s Chair from Philomathean Hall at Wesleyan College, the original Philomathean badge, convention favors from past National Conventions, and a textile collection of Past National Presidents’ dresses. A volunteer archivist catalogs and maintains the historical collections of Phi Mu.
In the middle of the 19th century, college-level education for women was a rarity. Yet, at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia, an education of the highest level – equal to that which men were receiving – had been available to women since 1839. In those Victorian years of the 1800s, Greek-letter fraternities for college women were non-existent. There were literary and debating societies for women, and the Greek-letter organizations were reserved for the men.
The Cannonball House is a historic Civil War era home preserved in Macon, Georgia. The two main parlors in the home are devoted to displays featuring the two national women’s fraternities founded at Wesleyan College – Phi Mu and Alpha Delta Pi. The Foundation is responsible for the maintenance and insurance of the Philomathean Room as well as the restoration of many archival items. The Foundation also provides brochures that describe the room and furnishings for visitors who tour the house.